Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Story Time: An Original From McGeath Freeman


I said a couple weeks ago I might post an excerpt from one of my own stories. I have been reviewing children's books for eight years now and writing professionally, in one fashion or another, for nearly 15 years. I have written several unpublished children's books and created treatments for several others. However, I have put very little effort into getting publihsed. I always seem to be busier with something more important. Now I am inspired to push my manuscript. So all you publishers out there, be on the look out for my manuscripts.

I have included an excerpt from one of my stories below. If you would like to see more or have constructive suggestions please feel free to leave a comment.

"Star Light, Star Bright"
By McGeath Freeman
For ages 3 - 9
It is a story of unlikely friendship, loss, and hope that will help children understand our loved ones always watch over us. Rated 5 (I'm giving the ratings so of course it's a 5)



     The sun goes down, the stars shine bright, and so does Brizbee. Every night she twinkles and shines over the meadow. One such evening Brizbee sees a lonely young newt sitting on a rock.

"What ya lookin' at?" she asked.

"The stars," the newt replied.

"I love the stars," Brizbee said. "What's your name?"

"Niven," he answered.

"I’m Brizbee. I'm going to be a big star someday. See, I can shine too."

"How’d you do that?" he asked. "Do it again."

"When I’m a star I’ll shine all night,” she said flitting around. “You’ll look up and see me shining back at you.” She zoomed into the night sky.

Niven laughed as Brizbee twirled through the daisies and sparkled around the water lilies.

Brizbee and Niven became instant friends.


     "Do you see that shooting star?" Brizbee asked. "That won't be me,

I'm going to shine forever like those stars up there," she said.

"They look like a dragonfly," Niven said. "And those look like

a cricket."

"And those look like a toad," Brizbee added.

She started giggling. Niven started snuffling. Before long they were laughing and snorting. Like two grubs in a rose bud.

This is an excerpt from the story, "Star Light, Star Bright" by McGeath Freeman. It is protected under copyright laws. Any attempt to copy, reproduce, or distribute for gain without the author's express written consent will be prosecuted.

No comments:

Post a Comment