Friday, February 12, 2010

What are your Favorite Childhood Books?


What were your favorite books as a child? Which ones stick out in your memory? Why? Share your memories and thoughts, but please limit to no more than five books. Thank you.


I'll get things started. The books that stick out most in my memory are, : "Nothing at All," "Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel," "My Book about Me," "A Bear Called Paddington," "Choose Your Own Adventure Books."

"Nothing at All" - I don't remember who the author is for this book and I know that it is out of print. This simple book has a very soothing rythym and repetitive nature to help children learn and recognize words. We used to read this one before bed.


"Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel" - Virginia Lee Burton's classic story about a guy and his best friend, their adventures, accomplishments and pride in your work. Still love this book.


"A Bear Called Paddington" - Michael Bond introduced us to a bear from darkest Peru. Paddington also happened to be my first stuffed bear, so I had a special affinity for paddinton stories.


"My Book About Me" - As I got a little older and could read and write on my own, Dr. Seuss's "My Book About Me" became a favorite. Just fill in the blanks and you have a story that is all about the most interesting topic... you.



"Choose Your Own Adventure" - R. A. Montgomery wrote a series of books that put middle readers in charge of  the stroy. Think of it as the predecessor to interactive stories online.


What are your favorites? You can also take part in this on the Facebook fan page for Chapter One Reviews, Twitter (Chapter1Reviews), or http://chapterone.gather.com/.




4 comments:

  1. From Gather.com Feb 12, 2010, 11:02am EST

    -- Pat D.
    I clearly remember several books from my childhood, including :

    Go Dogs Go - a Dr Suess book, one of many that I had
    The Story about Ping - this is about a Duck, in China
    Harold and the purple Crayon

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Gather.com Feb 12, 2010, 11:41am EST

    -- lori turner
    my favorite of all time is "green eggs and ham". also, i like "the giving tree".

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Gather.com Feb 12, 2010, 1:34pm EST

    --Cheryl Ryan
    one of my favorites was (and still is) Shel Silverstein's Where The Sidewalk Ends

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids loved "Go Dog Go." They would sit and look at eth final party picture forever. I have to admit I didn't begin reading "Harold and the Purple Crayon" until I had children. It was a wonderful bedtime story. I'll have to take a look at "The Story about Ping." That's a new one for me.

    "Green Eggs and Ham" is a classic - what's not to like? As for "The Giving Tree," I think I read it for the first time in high school. Shel Silverstein was a great writer for both children and adults.

    I love "Where the Sidewalk Ends." I used to read it to my mother. I learned a lot about reading with emotion.

    Thanks for the input.

    ReplyDelete